Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Is it legal for a county DAs office to give evidentiary information

Customer Question
Is it legal for a...
Is it legal for a county DA's office to give evidentiary information to someone not connected to a criminal case before the trial begins? This is in the state of Texas.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/2/2009
Criminal Lawyer: Cedric, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Cedric
Cedric, Criminal Defense Lawyer
If there hasn't been a court order sealing all records and preserving confidentiality than the DA can comment about an ongoing case, including giving out evidentiary information.

It could undermine the prosecution or lead to a defendant having a valid cause for changing the venue however if the information taints the jury pool.

On the other hand, if the DA hands over actual physical evidence to another party, it would break the chain of custody and could not be used in a criminal prosecution against that individual.
Cedric
Cedric, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Cedric
Cedric
Cedric, Criminal Defense Lawyer