How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttySince1978 Your Own Question
AttySince1978, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 931
Experience:  Attorney since 1978, former Judge Pro Tem, former S.F. Police Officer
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttySince1978 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 16 year old, who is in jail on 8 felony charges. 3

Resolved Question:

I have a 16 year old, who is in jail on 8 felony charges. 3 burglary of a dwelling, 1 burglary of a structure, 1 grand theft of a firearm, 3 grand theft. They are charging him as a adult. He has no prior convictions and has never been in trouble. He commited these crimes to help his family who had fallen on hard times. What is the maximum he could get and what can I do to help him? I couldn't afford his 40,000 bond andhe has been locked up for about a month. He was in DJJ for 21 days and now is in the local jail. What advice can you give me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttySince1978 replied 8 years ago.
First of all, he needs a public defender if he doesn't already have one. His attorney can ask for a major bail reduction or be bailed without money if it can be proved that he is not a flight risk. Perhaps his public attorney can have him tried as a juvenile where he belongs.

I don't think that he should be tried as an adult. He has a clean record and that alone should qualify to remain a juvenile offender. He is not an adult and should be tried as a juvenile. If he is tried as an adult, than his sentence can be much greater than if he is tried as a juvenile. As an adult, he could get a year in prison for each felony count. Of course, he will get credit for time served if he remains in jail until his trial is over. Since he is being tried as an adult, the Court should appoint a public defender for him.

I trust that you will find my answer helpful, therefore, kindly click ACCEPT after you have read my answer. We, experts, do not get paid for our work unless you ACCEPT the answer. Also, a small bonus is allowable and would be greatly appreciated.
AttySince1978 and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you