How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cedric Your Own Question
Cedric, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 2899
Experience:  Several Years of Criminal Defense Trials in L.A. and O.C. as public defender and private attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Cedric is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what are my sons legal options

Resolved Question:

my sons wife has written bad checks and has a warrant out for her in ky; she still contnues to write bad checks, draining his account, and also has some serious debt to the irs and a few employers- what can he do to make sure she gets prosecuted for this
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Cedric replied 8 years ago.
Your son can file a police report that states the allegations against his wife. If she already has a warrant out in Kentucky, there's nothing he can do to get her prosecuted there (short of hiring a bounty hunter).

However, your son should try to close any joint accounts with his wife and should also file for divorce so he will not be held liable for any of her actions.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
he has filed and closed the joint account but can he be held accountable for her actions
Expert:  Cedric replied 8 years ago.
He could not be held criminally accountable so long as he had no knowledge that she was writing the bad checks, and did not take any action to further those actions.

However, he may be liable for her debts from bad checks written on the joint account prior to the account being closed, if the people or companies she wrote the checks out to try to collect the money. He also may be responsible for back taxes due to the IRS if he and his wife filed a joint return together.
Cedric and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you