Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

indian casino hotel claims they found pipe and small amount

of pot in our room...
indian casino hotel claims they found pipe and small amount of pot in our room after we checked out and turned it over to tribal police, they claim its ours, we live in a different state.
2/2/2009
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
I read your facts, is there a particular question I can help you with?
yes, i live in wisconsin and the casino/hotel is in michigan. an officer calls and tries to tell me he is a tribal officer, a county deputy, and a deputy us marshall. He says we can go up there and settle the issue at the tribal level for a fine or if we force him we can be persued at the state or federal level. WE deny that these things belong to us and my wife and i always check the room are family stays in for anything that may be left behind. Nothing was left behind. My brother and his family had the ajoining room but they also do not do drugs. My questions are is this officer lying about the cridendials he has as these seem to be conflicting jurisdictions, and more importantly sence the room was registered to me can they convict me? This officer also told me that the housekeeper called security to the room and they took the evidence to their office and then called the "tribal" officer. Should i quit talking to the officer that calls? also he said it was a very small amount would they persue this at a federal level.
Technically, they can puruse almost anything at the federal level that occurs on tribal land, but they usually don't.

He may very well be a tribal officer and a county deputy, but I doubt he is also a US Marshall unless that is required to be a tribal officer (and I don't think it is).

You should hire a lawyer in the area of the casino to talk to the officer and handle the case rather than doing it yourself. Since you have multiple jurisdictions potentially involved there are a lot of things that could go wrong in this case and cost you a lot of time, effort and money to handle.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer