Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How long can a DA keep a prisoner in jail without sentencing

Customer Question
them or having a hearing?...
How long can a DA keep a prisoner in jail without sentencing them or having a hearing?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/31/2009
Criminal Lawyer: xavierjd, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer

Thank you for just using JustAnswer.com

State law and court rules govern. However, if the person is being held in a county jail or local jail, he/she can usually be held no longer than 72 hours without being charged and/or brought before a judge or magistrate for an arraignment on a formal charge. This answer assumes that there are no intervening issues.

Also, as you may know the US government can hold prisoners for longer periods of time without a charge being brought...ie prisoners at Guantanamo Bay.

If a person has pled guilty or is found guilty, the time a person may await sentencing may vary. There may need to be a pre-sentence investigation report, etc. and there may be scheduling issues with the court or the defendant's attorney.

If a person has been charged and is awaiting trial, many things may intervene before the case is concluded. A person may be held, in all circumstances, after charges are brought until he/she posts the bond that is set by the court, or the case is concluded and the person is sentenced.

While a person is incarcerated on a charge, there may be adjournments of hearings, motions (asking the court to do something), plea offers, or getting a trial date. But, depending on your state law, if through no fault of the Defendant, he/she is incarcerated for a period of time (eg.180 days) without being brought for trial, he/she has a right to be released on bond while awaiting trial. Remember, however, if the defendant or his attorney asks for adjournment, or other things that delays the case, that does not count toward the maximum time the defendant may be held.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and that you please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You should contact an attorney in the locality where the person is being held to assist you further. You can contact the local bar association for a referral. They will probably give you 2 or 3 names. You may be able to consult them by phone, or ask to set up an appointment. Sometimes, those consultations are free.

xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer
xavierjd
xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer