Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

petty larceny 1st offense

Customer Question
petty larceny 1st offense
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/8/2009
Criminal Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer
can you tell me your question please?
shoplifting $164.04 mcpetty larceny
But your question...do you want to know the maximum punishment for this offense?
i was cuaght stealing in walmart worth $164.04 am i going to prison i dont want to lose my job it is my first offense this is in fallon nv im willing to pay the fine or do acommunity service
yes and how to abjucate or will i go to prison
As a petty offense, you will not go to prison.   particularly for a first offense.

here is the law in NV

Nev. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 205.240 (2008)

205.240. Petit larceny; penalty.

1. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 205.220; , 205.226; , 205.228; and 475.105, a person commits petit larceny if the person:

(a) Intentionally steals, takes and carries away, leads away or drives away:

(1) Personal goods or property, with a value of less than $250, owned by another person;

(2) Bedding, furniture or other property, with a value of less than $250, which the person, as a lodger, is to use in or with his lodging and which is owned by another person; or

(3) Real property, with a value of less than $250, that the person has converted into personal property by severing it from real property owned by another person.

(b) Intentionally steals, takes and carries away, leads away, drives away or entices away one or more domesticated animals or domesticated birds, with an aggregate value of less than $250, owned by another person.

2. A person who commits petit larceny is guilty of a misdemeanor. In addition to any other penalty, the court shall order the person to pay restitution.

Prison is typically reserved for violent or serious offenses or for habitual offenders

That said you are charged with a crime. If convicted you will have a criminal record and could get some jail time (though most likely would receive a fine and probation)

You will rate an attorney if you can not afford one...you you should work with your attorney to reach the best result.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.
P. Simmons, Lawyer
P. Simmons, Lawyer