Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was denied a public defender in a hit in run case. Ive been

Customer Question
to my arraingnment to where...
I was denied a public defender in a hit in run case. Ive been to my arraingnment to where i was told to plead not guilty, after i already signed a plea bargain that stated no criminal actions for two years and pay a $150 fine. After i signed the bargain i was told to plead not guilty instead, because the public defender who was at the arraignments for everyone informed me that there was some kind of possible drug and alcohol evaluation or treatment that was required in the bargain, from there i was told to plead not guilty. So i got a new court date, but i was denied a defender, and i cant afford a lawyer.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/3/2009
Criminal Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer
If you had a plea agreement you were satisfied with, you can approach the prosecutor and request that.

If that will not work, if it is no longer available, I recommend you retain counsel to prepare to defend yourself.

There is no prohibition with you talking to the prosecutor about a plea deal...and if you can iron one out, you would not necessarily need an attorney, BUT the prosecutor will NOT represent you...so you would do well to retain an attorney to review the terms with you to make sure your protected, but this would typically cost much less than to represent for the entire trial.

If you can not get the deal yourself, after you retain counsel, they will be able to assist

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the green accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.   
sorry but what exactly does retain counsel meen? Do i have time to talk to the prosecutor before my scheduled appearance. What do i do if the judge finds me guilty and gives me jail time when i would want a bargain
Retain means to hire...find someone that can assist you.

You can certainly track down the prosecutor if you put some effort into it.

NOt sure your question

What do i do if the judge finds me guilty and gives me jail time when i would want a bargain

P. Simmons, Lawyer