How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116711
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got an unjust speeding ticket and I want to know how to get

This answer was rated:

I got an unjust speeding ticket and I want to know how to get out of it. He said I was going 81, wrote me for 80, never asked for registration or insurance information and was rude. My speed control and my GPS both registered 73 mph. Limit was 70 on interstate.
Then you need to go to court and fight the ticket. First, you would need to prove that your GPS was an accurate measure of your speed such that it was as accurate or more accurate than his certified calibrated speedometer (or radar) If he wrote you based upon pacing you with his speedometer, then you would ask for the prosecution to produce the records certifying his speedometer. If it was radar, then you would have to ask for documentation on the certification of the radar and his certification and testing measures. You would also have to write to the GPS company and ask for this certification on your GPS as well to submit into evidence in your defense. You would likely do best hiring an attorney to represent you in fighting this ticket.

As far as being rude, this is a complaint you would make to the department's internal affairs division.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I don't have another $15 but I have another question related to your answer. In your experience, have you seen tickets absolutely dismissed? I do not mean adjudicaiton withheld, I mean dismissed. My employment only allows 2 speeding tickets in 36 month period or it is instant dismissal.

I have seen the dismissals and since it is that important, you should hire an attorney to work this case for you. I have seen prosecutors work deals if you have a fairly clean driving record, but you have a better chance of that with an attorney.

What you need to do is discredit his method of calculating or determining your speed. Proving exactly how fast you were going, if you were going over the speed limit does not really prove your case because you were still going over the limit. If you were going under the limit then using your GPS to prove your speed would be helpful.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions