How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 35006
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am writing this on be-half of my son-in-law who is in jail,

Customer Question

I am writing this on be-half of my son-in-law who is in jail, this is a 2nd time offense for him. He is scheduled to be sentenced on 1/24/09. I paid for a criminal defense lawyer who I felt took my money and did not do the best for my son-in-law, we (my daughter and myself want to appeal) Unfortunately we now need a good criminal defense attorney that will do pro bono and do not know where to look. We paid $10,000.00 for the attorney he has now but feel we need someone to work with him on the appeal. Thank you for reading my e-mail.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
If your son in law has pled guilty, he will have a very limited ability to appeal. For this reason, he may want to consult an attorney PRIOR to the sentence proceeding. It may be possible to change the course of the proceeding PRIOR to sentencing, but very difficult after.

If you tell me your state I may be able to provide some additional resources

P. Simmons and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I should have said he did not plead guilty, he plead non guilty, he is being charged for breaking into a home and shooting the brother, which he said he did not do. He has an identical twin brother who was not available during the trial. The two brothers said on the witness stand that it was one of the twins. The jury found him guilty, the the brother was shot in the leg. I guess I don't understand how a jury can convict without a reasonable doubt when it was brought up that they are identical twins.


He is currently in Redwood City jail in California. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.


You will need an appellate attorney

Here is a list of pro bono for california

and here is another resource

BotXXXXX XXXXXne, if he was convicted, he will need a good appellate attorney. Be aware that in Ca, you have 30 days from sentence to file, so you want to get started right away