How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34324
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in a car accident with a friend. I hit a fence and my

This answer was rated:

I was in a car accident with a friend. I hit a fence and my friend and I had been drinking. The car rolled 3 times and I was knocked out. Some people came by and called 911. My friend got me out of the car and we ran before the police came. The police went to my parents house looking for me and they didn't know where I was. The police wanted me to call them when I showed up. The next morning I came home and my mom made me fix the fence and I was acting hurt so she took me to the hospital. I had a concusion and bruise on the brain, shoulder and neck sprain. I was at the hospital for 7 hours and they finally released me . The CHP called my mom the next day saying I hadn't called him yet. I was sleeping and on heavy medication so I called him the next day. He didn't call back so I called him again the next day. And finally he called back said he only worked the weekends and wanted to talk to me tomorrow Sunday at 6:00pm at my parents house. Should I talk to him or get a attorney to me?
You would do well to have an attorney with you. Leaving the scene of an accident and driving while intoxicated are both crimes and if you provide evidence to him about your participation in these crimes, this information can be used to prosecute you.

I would contact a local attorney and have them assist. I would tell the police officer you are in the process of retaining an attorney and will talk to him after you have one

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the green accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.   
P. Simmons and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I couldn't write my whole story first question. They haven't cited me. CHP left a message on my phone that they can't try me with drunken driving to late to drug test. But were 99% sure I was drinking.What can they cite me for after 1 week and 1 day?. I was the only one hurt and am better now. My neighbor is happy with the fence and willn't file charges. I go to college and don't want this on my record for future employment, credit rating, etc. I have learned my lesson and am sorry. What can they cite me for and is it criminal? Thanks!
They CAN charge you after the fact, IF they can prove you were drinking...and if you tell them you were drinking this can be used as evidence. For that reason, you should not talk to them without counsel to assist.

They may also be able to charge your with leaving the scene of an accident

P. Simmons and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions