How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118275
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and his friends beat up my boyfriend new years

Resolved Question:

My son and his friends beat up my boyfriend new years pennsylvania...we went to file charges and they denied it. They also showed up at my home new years day at 6:00 am while I was cleaning up after his party. They were all 21. The police said I refused to give a girl here keys which they later found in my driveway. I took no keys aways as they were all 21. My boyfriend has no tooth and his eye he can not open as the boys beat him up. We went the day after new years to file charges and the police said we had to wait til the officer came to my home went on duty at 11:00 p.m. My boyfriend went there last night and they would not press charges and verbatim he said there are "three" sides to a story. I don't understand why we cannot press story is that probably the superstar basketball player's father is an attorney and got to the police first. Please advise why police would not press charges.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
If the police will not file charges, you have the right to go to the DA's office and seek to press charges, additionally, you can file a civil suit against the parties involved in beating him up and he can receive civil damages from them for his injuries/pain/suffering. He should hire an attorney to file suit against them.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't understand why the police will not file..why should we have to hire an attorney when neither of us can afford one?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
I do not understand either other than they have received information that is contrary to your account of the incident and there is insufficient evidence to proceed with charges, which is the common reason for them not bringing charges. Again, the only way to know this is to go to the DA. As far as not being able to afford an attoney, most attorneys would handle this as a civil matter on a contingency fee basis, meaning they will not get paid unless you collect.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you