Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
12176198

was arrested for pc 647(b), is is a felony, and if not what

was arrested for pc 647(b), is is a felony, and if not what are the maximum and the minimum, do I need a lawyer to repremt me?
Hello.

First, no, it is not a felony, it is a disorderly conduct misdemeanor.

If it is a first offense, the penalty can be a fine up to $70. If it is a 2d offense, it can be a jail sentence of up to 45 days and a fine; if it is a 3d offense, it can be up to 90 days in jail and a fine.

Generally, I would suggest people have lawyers with them in a criminal case. However, the potential penalty is so small that you can probably get away without having a lawyer. I would suggest that you show up to court and find out what the prosecutor is offering in terms of a plea deal. If you find it acceptable, you can take the deal. If you don't, at that point, you should ask for a postponement to get an attorney.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have a past criminaal record, would that change anything?
It might make the offer from the State higher, but it is still a fairly minor crime so as long as you don't have any convictions for 647(b) it should be OK. If you have convictions for 647(b), then I would recommend getting a lawyer straight away because you could be facing jail time.