How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33555
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old son punched another 17 year old which then prompted

Resolved Question:

My 17 year old son punched another 17 year old which then prompted another person to get involved. The second individual proceeded to beat up the kid badly. Understandably the family is furious and is going to press charges against both my son and the second individual. I am wondering what my son could face if arrested for the one punch.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
He could be facing assault or aggravated assault charges. There is a theory of law called "the law of parties" which means if two people were involved in any way in a crime, then they are both guilty of it. Aggrvated Assault is a first degree felony in Texas and the possible penalty is 5 to 99 years or life, although this isn't likely. Probation is more likely but your son needs tohire an attorney immediately and see if he can testify against the other boy in exchange for a light plea.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B. and 7 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you