How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27585
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend is an American citizen currently living abroad. He

This answer was rated:

My friend is an American citizen currently living abroad. He received a DAT for public consumption of marijuana in the fifth degree. He could not see a judge today and is leaving tomorrow and cannot appear in court on his date. Is there any way to resolve this matter without a warrant being issued?
The first step is to retain the services of a criminal defense attorney. The attorney can appear at his arraignment tomorrow and all subsequent court appearances. Your friend will need to sign a waiver of appearance form and also some type of plea sheet, giving the attorney the authority to resolve the case without your friend being present. The attorney can file a motion, asking that the court appearances of your friend be waived and explain the situation to the court. The only other option, is to have the attorney work on the case and have a specially set court date for either a trial or resolution to the case. That is assuming the Judge will not allow the case to be resolved without your friend present. Failing to appear or retaining a lawyer, will result in a warrant being issued and possible problems when your friend returns.
CrimDefense and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt response. How does he acquire these forms?


He acquires these forms from a criminal defense attorney is New York.