How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Swartz Your Own Question
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3175
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Thomas Swartz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was the treasurer of a local non-profit for 7 years. During

This answer was rated:

I was the treasurer of a local non-profit for 7 years. During the majority of that time, there was never a question of my integrity and the manner in which I performed my duties. However, in the last 2 years, the chairperson of the board decided that she didn't like me for some perceived affront. She called the "investigative reporter" of a local newspaper with a bogus story of tax fraud, what she tried to get him to believe was theft, etc. There was also another individual who "jumped on the bandwagon" with her and posted information on his blog (actually he cut and pasted the newspaper article. There are 2 entries on Google that reference both the news article and the blog. Is there anything I can do to "untarnish" my reputation? There was never any theft, all monthly reports balanced and there were no questions until this made up information. Thank you.

You could always try to commence a defamation lawsuit against the chairperson and the blogger. The grounds for a defamation lawsuit exists if someone makes false statements of fact about you to another which damage your character. If the chairperson made false statements that you committed theft, certainly such statements would damage your character, and you be entitled to compensatory damages. You could also ask the newspaper and blogger to print a retraction of the stories, or you will commence a defamation lawsuit.

Thomas Swartz and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you