How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4489
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live with a friend and his grandma. Somebody called a social

Customer Question

I live with a friend and his grandma. Somebody called a social worker and police saying that over $1000 a week was being taken out of her account nd they named me. the scial worker went with grandma to the bank and they said nothing was wrong with her account. but the worker said she will keep looking until she finds something. What are her legal rights and what are mine and what can I do to stop this? I have done nothing wrong. can she access bank records without a warrant? What can I do? Somebody is lying on me and trying to set me up and I'm scared.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.
<p>Hello.</p><p> </p><p>Without permission of the account holder, the social worker would have to get a warrant or a subpoena for the records.</p><p> </p><p>At this point, there's not much you can do except not get involved in her financial affairs. If there comes a time when they try to bring charges against you, you should hire a lawyer immediately to defend you. If you can't afford one, you can request a court appointed attorney or apply for a public defender. </p><p> </p><p>But at this point during the preliminary stages, there's unfortunately not much you can do other than try to stay away from whatever the problem is as much as you can.</p>
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your feedback. Before I feel comfortable accepting this answer, may i have the opinion of a criminal defense attorney as well? Thanks again for your time.
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.
I worked for a criminal defense firm for two years in law school and completed a criminal defense clinic at both the state and federal levels, if that makes you more comfortable.