Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was put on probation June 2007, I have had not one single

problem until Tuesday. I received...
I was put on probation June 2007, I have had not one single problem until Tuesday. I received a letter saying that I had a filed criminal case that was committed January 2007. It has been almost two years since, and the violation occured about 6 months before I was put on probation. Would this be a violation of probation because? What is most likely to happen? I am nervous because I am not the same person and have been out of trouble. Could my probation officer send a warrant for my arrest? Should I notify my probation officer as well? Please help!
1/1/2009
Ellen, Lawyer
What is your relationship like with your probation officer? Do you see him regularly?
I see him once a month on medium risk probation. I have not had one violation since I have been on probation. I have been on time with restitution and supervision fees.
Does he spend time talking to you so that you have developed a relationship?
Well, I have seen him since June 2007, so over 1 1/2 years. The visits seem quite vague at times. He and I seem to get along well. I wish him Happy Holidays and he says the same back, but lengthy conversation have never occured. He seems quite vague and businesslike.

Thank you for your information. I am happy to assist you.

Read the terms of your probation very carefully. Typically you are required to notify your PO.

It appears to not be a violation of your probation since the act occurred prior to your probation. However, a probation officer typically still has the authority to violate you for other reasons.

You will want to gather evidence that you are not the same person and retain local counsel to represent you in the new matter.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
Customer/span>

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

What other violations could occur when I just received the letter about two days ago? I know I have 72 hours to report police contact and such. I was planning on telling him Monday when he comes back from vacation. What are you speaking of when you tate that I am not the same person? I am the same person with the court notice.

When I stated you are not the same person, I was referencing your statement "I am not the same person and have been out of trouble".

Monday seems to be reasonable for notifying your PO since he is on vacation.

Your post does not indicate that any violations have occurred.

I hope that this helps you.

Thank you,
Customer/span>

So, just so I stop worrying... I am sorry, I just want to make sure I don't get in anymore trouble. I just am sick of my past and have been making forward progress. I am the same person, but not the same person because of my past mistakes. So, he normally would not get a warrant? The paperwork was just filed last week for this case, but the date of violation was January 2007. So, even though it was filed just last week, but the violation was before the probation term, I am not violating probation? I just need some reassurance.

It appears that way but you need to caarefully review your probation terms.
What should I review them for?
You should be familiar with the terms of probation so that you do not mistakenly violate the terms.

Please click accept so that I am paid for my work thus far.

Thank you,
Customer/span>

Ellen, Lawyer
Ellen, Lawyer