Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I was reading an article online that stated that a man from

I was reading an article online that stated that a man from illinois was arrested for having sex with a minor. The problem is that the girl said that she was 22, why was he charged?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 years ago.

hi

he was charged because there is no affirmative defense that he did not know the age of the minor. it is incumbent to be sure of the age of one's sexual partner - unfortunately, it is not a crime for a person to lie about their age in these matters or look older than they actually are

i have told my clients make sure they ask for proper ID before engaging in sexual conduct

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
according to the article this man and woman were on a dating site, she said she was 22 or something like that, They begin to talk, but (on the site they agree to meet.) Sex wasn't engaged but because he picked up the tickets to go to meet her he was arrested. Do you check Id's before you go and meet and ifso how do you know if the Id is real. What do you do if the Id is fake like she presents an Id that is fake and sex occurs? Who gets arrested the man or the woman. What qualifies as intent and Is online cybersex illegal?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 years ago.

hi

well, there could be more to it than what is being reported - and while it seems there should be laws against someone lying about their age, there is not. but it is something you can discuss with your state lawmakers -

hey, i'm with you on the argument you present - it's just like the minor saying they are 21 and buying liquor - now that is a crime. never used to be. the same should apply to a minor who says they are 18 and has sex. if they lie about their age then they need to be held accountable