How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 35015
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. I was trying to get into an exs car to see the cerll

Resolved Question:

Hello. I was trying to get into an ex's car to see the cerll phone for numbers...I got caught..they put me in jail for a few hours, I paid my bail. Then later went to ocurt and they threw it out and said if no info on this in 1 year then its done... i recently reicieved a letter (short) to inform me that a complaint has been filed against me in the misdemeanor chg of tampering with a car. I need to go to court to defend myself of the peoplke of california. Who made this reappear?what should I expect? I never have been arrested.i am apretty good citizen.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
The prosecutor will have at least a year, perhaps more, to file charges in a criminal case. I suspect that is what is going on here.

You would not need to defend yourself. If you can not afford an attorney, you should let the judge know and the court will provide an attorney for you.

From what you have described this appears minor and you may be able to have this case adjudicated so that at the end it stays off your criminal record, but you will need to work with your attorney for this

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the green accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.    
P. Simmons and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you