Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

can I get my gun rights back

Customer Question
convicted of misd dom batt...
convicted of misd dom batt in 2002 in idaho
did not get a withheld judgment

what are my options
petition in federal court?
move for a withheld and reopen case?
try for a pardon from the governor?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/2/2008
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 9 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

hi

because your misdemeanor is a DV one, you are precluded by law of owing or possessing a gun. you will need to apply for a full pardon from the governor of Idaho to have your rights restored - then you will need to have the matter expunged

use this link for that application and more information

also this link for the guidelines - you will need to be 5 years from the end of your sentence and no other crimes pending - see Rule 550

what if the judge allows us to reopen the case and grants a withheld judgment. wouldnt that take care of the issue?

hi

withheld until when, what? probation? the matter would need to be totally dismissed with no conviction of any kind showing on your record - adjudication withheld will still appear on your record

Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law