How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116834
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I committed a traffic violation (didnt stop at a stop sign

This answer was rated:

I committed a traffic violation (didn't stop at a stop sign and couldn't provide the prove of insurance) almost a month ago. I'm scheduled to appear in the court in 3 days. The situation is complicated. The car is registered under my brother-in-law's name, so basically he got a ticket and so did I. I don't want to contest the violation and would like to pay the fine instead, but neither have us received a courtesy notice yet. Things get more complicated when I called the court asking for an extension on both due dates. The person said that both of the cases haven't been entered into the system. And she told me to call back in 7-10 days. I said to her that I had to appear in the court in 3 days, she said that was fine. My question is, what should I do? I need that extension because I'll be out of town in 2 days. Also I just want to pay the fine. Second question: Does my brother in law needs to appear as well? Since I'm the violators, can it be just me? (the car is registered to him)
You need to physically appear on the scheduled date, because when the case is called if you are not present the court will issue a warrant for you and will submit a suspension of your license. The best thing to do is appear in person at the clerk of court's office (do not call) and provide them proof you must be out of town on the date called and ask for it to be set for your return. If they refuse, then you will have to hire an attorney to appear and represent you, which is the only way the court will excuse your appearance. Your brother in law must also appear. The fact that you never received a courtesy notice does not matter since you are aware of the date. Sometimes the judge will allow a non-attorney to represent you in the first appearance to plead not guilty (which you can always change later) but this varies by judge's preference.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you