Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I lost my license to carry (suspended) aprox. 2 years ago,

Customer Question
because of unsafe storage of...
I lost my license to carry (suspended) aprox. 2 years ago, because of unsafe storage of a firearm.    The case was dismissed. I have no criminal record beside that . The Chief refuses to give it back.   Is there anything I can do. I feel my rights are infringed upon and I can't believe that a chief can hold my LTC with out good and just reason. Can I take him to court, can an attorney write a demand letter for me or???   I have taken extra NRA (mass State police accepted) home safety classes, never had a gun innncident and have lived with guns for 50 years.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/1/2008
Criminal Lawyer: Nate, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Nate, Lawyer
Thank you for your question.

Massachusetts is one of the most unfriendly firearms states in the country, so I am not surprised that the chief is acting in this way. If the charge was dismissed, be sure to get it expunged. If that charge was the only reason your license was suspended, the chief must give the license back to you. If he does not, you are going to have to file a lawsuit demanding he comply with the law. That suit would be filed in the civil courts in the county where he is, not the criminal courts, and you will need to retain an attorney to do it.

I hope this helps. Be sure to click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for this answer. As always, if you have additional questions after clicking ACCEPT, I will be glad to follow up with you.

Thanks!
Nathan Moore
This was the only reason I lost my LTC.. It was in an unlocked case in my locked truck. Nothing else is on my record. Can You write a letter of demand?
A letter can be written - I would find a lawyer there to do it, as it would probably be more effective. The terms of my agreement with Just Answer make me unable to interact outside of the Just Answer service.
Nate, Lawyer
Nate, Lawyer