How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested in N.C. on fugitive warrant from GA. For attempting

Resolved Question:

I was arrested in N.C. on fugitive warrant from GA. For attempting to bribe a witness, and intimidating a witness, the D.A. was going on emails sent from myself to the so called victim. I turned myself in, in GA. and paid a high cash bond, in March 08. The D.A. has been sent all the emails now, and it shows my innocence, but he has yet to drop charges, or to take case forward. this week it will be 9 months,since arrest. Do I not have a right to a speedy trial? or since he knows of my innocence, doesnt he have a responsibility to drop this in a timelier fashion? This has caused me much distress and anxiety, I have had to have disc surgery in neck, was out of work, and husband laid off from work, so this is a financial hardship to us. Am ready to call the Governor of GA!!! I just need some answers to what my rights are. thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

There is a right to a speedy trial, but it does not become viable until after one year has passed since the service of the indictment/warrant on you, so that will not be a viable option for at least three more months - even then, there is no guarantee you would be entitled to a dismissal.

Ideally, the DA would voluntarily retire the charges if there is clear proof of your innocence. Unfortunately, this does not always happen. The best thing you can do is get your attorney to negotiate more urgently with the state, to include going to the assistant district attorneys boss, and his boss, if necessary.

I hope this helps. Be sure to click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for this answer. As always, if you have additional questions after clicking ACCEPT, I will be happy to follow up with you.

Nathan Moore

Nate and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
But who is the District Attorney's boss. was told he does not have one,and thank you for your reply
Expert:  Nate replied 8 years ago.
If you have already talked to the county level District Attorney, you may have to contact the Attorney General's office in Atlanta.
Nate and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you