How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jim Reilly Your Own Question
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1805
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Jim Reilly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was charged with trespassing and his lawyer told him

This answer was rated:

My son was charged with trespassing and his lawyer told him he wouldn't have to pay a fine as much as the other kids because he had a lawyer. The man never showed up for court and left my son hanging. This same lawyer has $2750 of mine for anther case involving my son for which we've not heard a single word in over 1 1/2 years. We get the run around every time we ask and all he's done was write 2 letters in 2006 and we have no status. hat can I do with this man? I want to file an ethics complaint and want my money back. I've gotten no accounting for this money either. This is the second time this lawyer has not shown up in court for my son.
"Somethin' ain't right here" is right, for sure. What this attorney has done and is doing is unethical. You should contact the New Jersey State Bar Association tomorrow to start the process of filing an ethics complaint.

Go here to find the NJ Bar website "contact info" page:

Partway down the page are two links for filing complaints about unethical lawyers. They are for the Office of Attorney Ethics, the direct link for which is:

and for the Office of Attorney Discipline, the direct link for which is:

On the Attorney Ethics page, the FAQ section has information for the public, one question being what to do to dispute fees. It has a phone number to call to start that process. I would put the number here for you, but phone numbers are not permitted in JA answers.

There is similar information (and the same phone number) on the Attorney Discipline page in the "Filing a Grievance" section.

Good luck dealing with this situation.
Jim Reilly and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the quick answer. My son was hit for the full $1000.oo fine for trespassing and we never even got an apology.


The other civil threat case blows my mind since he says he forgot we paid him the money(I have a credit card receipt). Hope he put it in an interest bearing account!

You're welcome and thank you for the accept and, in particular, the bonus, which is appreciated. I'm happy to have been able to help. It always pains me to hear about lawyers like this one, who give the profession a bad name. Good luck getting your money back.

Related Criminal Law Questions