How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34759
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I have a business in Delaware, used autos. I had mad

Customer Question

Hello, I have a business in Delaware, used autos. I had mad a deal with another dealer to sell him 20 junk cars. The Men he had come over and remove them began to take them apart on my lot, obviously casing the place. Later, after the cars were gone the shop was robbed, leaving me destitute and out of business. I saw them while they were performing the robbery, but did not get a 100% ident., execpt for one. I got a license plate number also. The police do nothing and are good for nothing, they are money makers for the state, that's all. The plate comes up to the father of one of the perps., but not one of the men who worked for the dealer that I made the deal with. I would like to sue civilly, we can start with the father of the perp that I saw, with this pressure I believe he will implicate the employee of the dealer I made the deal with leaving a degree of culpability on the part of that dealer. His dealership is held personally so I can attach his personal preperty.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
I would start here

You can certainly sue in civil court for the loss of any property after this theft. Even if you can only prove a case against one person, you can hold the individual liable. As well, it may be that you can then turn to the police with evidence for a criminal case

Also, I would not let the police keep me from prosecuting this case...I recommend you contact the district attorney for your county...tell them what is going on and that you want a prosecution. The DA and not the police, have the final say on prosecuting cases.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the green accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.