Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My son and his friend were arrested with 1 ounce of marijuana.

Customer Question
This was a first offense...
My son and his friend were arrested with 1 ounce of marijuana. This was a first offense and other than a speeding ticket he has not been in any trouble. He is enrolled in criminal justice and was planning on being a Police Officer what are the consequences and has he ruined his future career?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2008
Criminal Lawyer: Nate, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Nate, Lawyer
Thank you for your question.

What was the charge - was it a misdemeanor or a felony?

Thanks,
Nathan Moore
Misdemeanor
A misdemeanor may not necessarily affect him. You need to get a defense lawyer to work out a conditional judgement/diversionary plea for him so it can be immediately expunged, since he has no record. His career is not necessarily ruined. If it had been a felony, my opinion would be different.

I hope this helps. Be sure to click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for this answer. As always, if you have additional questions after clicking ACCEPT, I will be happy to follow up with you.

Thanks!
Nathan Moore

Nate, Lawyer
Nate, Lawyer