How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4498
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On Oct. 2, 2008 I was at home when called by my then girlfriends

This answer was rated:

On Oct. 2, 2008 I was at home when called by my then girlfriends son asking if I could pick him up from school. I told him I would. I had a couple of drinks by this time. I didn't feel any affects from the alcohol until I got to his school. When he came to the car I told him that he could drive even though he had no license. He is 17 y.o. but because of his grades he can't get a license. On the way home he got into an accident. There were no injuries. He was ticketed. His mother is very upset at me. A year ago her son was caught in the schools bathroom with a bag of mariquana. He told police that it wasn't his he found it. He still got charged and had to go to an alternative school. He goes to court on Nov 17. I am worried what the court might do to me. I have not been summoned yet but I'm sure I will be eventually. Can you give me your oppinion on what the court might subject me to for what happend? Thank you.



First of all, there's nothing that a juvenile court can do to you. You are an adult so the court doesn't have jurisdiction over you, so if you are called to testify on behalf of your ex's son, the worst thing that will happen to you is that the judge will give you a talking-to.


Technically, the police could charge you with allowing an unauthorized person to drive your car. Generally if they were going to charge you with that, they would have done so at the scene. And your letter is not enough to prove a DUI, so I doubt they will charge you with that.


The only thing you have to be concerned about is that down the road, if your insurance doesn't pay out on the accident, the other driver may sue you to recoup the damages.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What do you think the courts on going to do to him with this and what he did a year ago at school?
If you show up to testify on his behalf or even if the letter is read on his behalf, I can't imagine that anything too serious will happen. I mean, ultimately, traffic citations are not the most serious, especially if marijuana possiession is the only thing on his record. I can't predict results, but usually with something like that a defendant is given probation and forced to take a driving class and/or do some community service. But since he was driving per your instruction and because you were not fit to drive, I can't imagine that the judge will nail him to the wall like a kid who took a car out for a joyride.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just have one last question. In your oppinion should I show up on November 14, the day he is to go to court or should I just stay away? Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had one last question which hasn't been answered then I will let you go. What is your advice on me showing up. Should I show up on his behalf or should I try not to push it?
I can't advise on that because I can't give legal advice about his case. I would recommend trying to get in touch with his attorney (if he has one) or getting in contact with your ex somehow to see if they want you in court. Generally if a lawyer wants a witness in court they will send them a summons or a subpoena, so if you haven't gotten one of those you don't have to appear. But if you want to try to help you should check with the lawyer or your ex (which I'm sure is difficult since she hangs up--maybe you could do it by email or letter).
Hammer O'Justice and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you