How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Susan Roberts Your Own Question
Susan Roberts
Susan Roberts, Judge. retired
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 716
Experience:  Retired state trial judge. Civil and criminal experience. 29 years legal practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Susan Roberts is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was driving home November 1 at about 2am. He hit a car

This answer was rated:

My son was driving home November 1 at about 2am. He hit a car that was stopped in the road because it had already been in an accident. He panicked and left the scene on foot. Two hours later he called the police to report the accident. He was arrested and is in jail. Arraignment is Monday at 9am. We have never been involved in anything like this before. We need advice and help as to what we can do. Our son lives in Virginia and we live in Texas.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,


Your son will need a lawyer experienced in criminal law. Of course, he will be unable to retain one by Monday morning. If he cannot afford a lawyer, he should ask the judge to appoint a public defender. If he can afford one, he should ask the judge for time to hire counsel. If there is an issue of bail, he should ask the judge to allow the public defender to represent him solely for the issue of bail.


Best of luck. I know how worrisome this must be for all of you.



Susan Roberts and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you!

You are very welcome. Hope all goes well for your son.