How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had my identity stolen in 2005 didnt find out about to 2007

Resolved Question:

I had my identity stolen in 2005 didn't find out about to 2007 I know the people who didit. Did file a police report but the couple who stolen the information was working for us. They promise to play all the money back so didn't file charges. They never paid back and got my credit report the other day and the lady is still doing it. Do I have to file another police report and file charges ? Plus they forge my name to a power of attorney which I didn't sign I need help
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 8 years ago.

You need to contact the police immediately and request to speak with an investigator. You obviously will have to request prosecution to stop these people from further destroying your credit. You also need to send a certified letter to each of the three credit bureaus reporting the identity theft. Once it is reported on your credit report it will become harder for them to exploit your personal information to obtain credit.


Call the police today.



I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you