Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

my son rob a drug dealer of his drugs. the dealer called the

cops. the cops came to...
my son rob a drug dealer of his drugs. the dealer called the cops. the cops came to my house and found the drugs and no weapon was found,the drug dealer is now in jail,my son is in jail. they offered my son 8 to 12yr and 2 years prob. is that a good deal to take? we live in georgia.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/29/2008
Bappelman
Bappelman, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Hello Lee,

I think that the offer your son has been offered is a bit high.

His offer will usually depend on his prior criminal history and how much evidence the prosecutor believes he has against your son in the robbery case. The worse of a criminal background that your son has, the worse off the offer will be.

Does you son have an attorney working with him? The attorney will be best able to help you assess whether or not your son has a chance at winning a trial or whether he should take a plea bargain. Either way, 8 to 12 years in prison, if it is his first offense, seems very high.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck to you and your son.
sorry it is 8 to 12 years, doing only 5 years in jail.my son has a loitering charge last October, and got probation.He did community sever ice and finished his probation, he was never locked up, He was 17 at the time. our lawyer says it is a good deal and by taking it to trail it would be suicide. than he would get 10 or 20 years and charged with the armed robbery.
Thanks for the reply.

You lawyer will certainly know more about this case than I do. If he believes that, based on the evidence, your son will lose at trial, then you should probably listen to him. If he thinks the offer is a good one, then he is probably correct.

5 years in prison for an armed robbery charge is not too bad, if your son has no other choice. It is even possible in many cases that he will be released early for good behavior.

If you trust your attorney then listen to his advice. He should have your best interests at heart and should be doing everything he can to help your son.

Good luck.
Bappelman
Bappelman, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Bappelman
Bappelman
Bappelman, Criminal Defense Lawyer