Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
11056146

What is the residency requirement for a name change in South

Customer Question

What is the residency requirement for a name change in South Carolina?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 9 years ago.
Here is a good source of information about name changes in South Carolina:

http://www.namechangelaw.com/states/sc/southcarolina.htm

Note that the petition for name change must be filed in writing "in the appropriate circuit", which means the circuit in which the petitioner resides. So, if you want to file a petition for name change based on residence in Rock Hill, you would file in the Circuit 16 court in York County.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

For RunTam38

Thank you but I have already researched that web page. It does not state how long I must live in SC to file the documents. I need to know exactly how long I must live in SC before I can file the documents and what proof do I need to show I reside there.

Okay, I see now that you are concerned about duration rather than location of residency.

The name change code sections in there entirety are located at:

http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t15c049.htm

There is no duration requirement ... the law simply requires that you file in the appropriate court based on where you live at the time of filing.

You will not be required to provide proof of residency in order to file the petition, though the issue could be raised if someone happens to file an objection to your petition. If that doesn't happen, you will probably not be required to prove residency at all.

If you do, there is also no statutory specification of what documentation is required. Therefore, normal proofs would be sufficient, such as a South Carolina driver's license or identification card ... or perhaps a passport.

If you have no DL, ID or passport, you could any billing records which show that you receive services at the address (such as, phone, electric, water, trash, etc.), bank or credit card statements, or any other government or business records directed to you at your address.