Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

my father added me to several credit cards as authorized user.

Customer Question

my father added me to several credit cards as authorized user. the bills were almost always at a zero balance. dad died. my sister, as executor, found out about these cards-I have signed statement from dad saying I was authorized to use cards. sister ccancelled every card. one day I ran across one i FORGOT too throw away. Tried it and it worked. I used it. I paid the bill. One merchant told me the primary holder was deceased and I could not use it. Yet, several merchants did allow me to use it. I did not know you are not allowed (I guess) to use a card such as this. Do I have anything to worry about?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
If you paid the bill and any charges you shouldn't have any problems, but you shouldn't use it again.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was worried that because I owe $6,000.00 someone might come after me. Then again, it may not be worth the card companies' time....they might write it off too since this company (Washington Mutual) was just bought out by another bank. I was afraid to call card co. for fear of having to give them my address-I moved recently-and I do not need any criminal charges put on me. what do you think?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
If you still owe money on them then you are at risk. Pay them off ASAP, if you can get a loan to do it that would be a wise idea, and don;t use them again.

Thanks for the ACCEPT.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what happens if I "shine them on" and fail to pay? I have the $ but there was a dispute with my sister over the estate--thing is, the card co. allowed the charges to proceed AFTER sister informed credit bureau and all credit cards of dad's death--are the card companies then not responsible for allowing charges to go thru? One merchant told me he could not accept the charge because dad was dead-it must've showed up on his machine-whatever-so all the charges I attempted did not go thru.....but many did and no one said a word---I do not think my sister or the attorney she hired to check into things know about this. Dad-the main witnesss, is dead. NO ONE has copies of any credit card receipts, bills,etc because we always shredded EVERYTHING for our own protection when dad was alive. Dad finally got dementia and did strange things-he even took out a credit card with my sister's name on it ! I mailed it to her attorney as he asked me if I had any of that stuff-I had already destroyed all the cards because I knew they had been notiofied of dad's death. I just happened to run across this WAMU card that I did not know I had....so I tried it for fun. It worked and I used it again. I paid the bill in entirety-it was foolish of me to use it again recenty-I cut it up ! Onelawyer sAID i BROKE LAW minute dad died by using card at later date. I just don't know what to do-will the card company eventually find me and basically just want the $$$??? I read that card companies don't file charges unless it is a huge amount, like $20K because it costs more to prosecute than it is worth. I was also told by retired Secret Service agent that the feds do not get involved unless it is $150,000.00 or more. What to do and when? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
The card companies are liable to your father's estate but you are still liable to the card companies AND your father's estate. The card companies are going after smaller and smaller amounts, particularly when they are facing a double hit, like here. They had to pay the merchant and now they are going to have to pay the estate.

You have an argument that no laws were broken, but you could still be charged. However, if you have paid the bill realistically it is unlikely anyone would go after you.

Good luck. I wish you the best.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

you have given me the answer I needed but everytime I hit ACCEPT button my computer requests a credit card. I don't have one!!!!!!!!!

You deserve kudos and I offer you a 100% positive feedback-I will try paying the money off in next 3-4 days and hope for the best---I am afraid they will still come after me when they get their money!

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
They may, but it is unlikely. I'll report the problem with the ACCEPT to the moderator.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
why would the card company have to paythe estate????
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
I meant if the estate had paid the bill already.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I apologize; my computer keeps shutting down and I