How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is on felony probation and on june 9, a complaint

Customer Question

My daughter is on felony probation and on june 9, a complaint was made and they got a warrant for forgery by passing and was arrested when she went in to report to probation the prosecutor still does not have the report and she has no idea what this could be ,how long does she have to wait it seems like 4months the prosecutor should have it.She is in college and is missing her classes and they can't even tell her what this is?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 8 years ago.
So she was arrested by warrant... but the prosecutor has not received the investigation report? Does she have an attorney? Has a probation violation warrant been filed? Is she out on bail or incarcerated? Why was she on probation?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have hired an attorney but I'am starting to second guess my descion,She is currently being held for the motion to revoke, and yes she is incarcerated now. And the reason for being on probation is for forgery she was on drugs and also was sent to safe-p wich was the best thing that could have ever happend because she has turned her life around.

Expert:  JD replied 8 years ago.

I'm confused. Does she have new criminal charges or just the violation of probation warrant?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

She Has A new criminal charge ,the allegation was made june9,2008.

Expert:  JD replied 8 years ago.

You daughter has charges pending as well as a probation violation warrant that is, at least in part, based upon the new charges. Her attorney has apparently made statements about getting her a bond but has not been able to get that accomplished, and you wonder how long this will go on before some resolution is reached.


I can tell you that cases can take several months to years to come to a resolution. One way to speed things along is to file a demand for speedy trial. Speedy trial is a term that is commonly misunderstood in the american justice system and simply provides that a defendant shall be tried within a reasonable time period on any criminal charges without unnecessary or unreasonable delay. The key here is reasonable.


I assume her attorney has told you that she could face serving her entire probated sentence in addition to any new sentence she receives on the new charges. It is common for defendants and their attorneys in this position to allow the accused to build up some jail time and attempt to resolve the matter with a time served proposition. Obviously I cannot comment on her lawyer's strategy since I haven't spoken to them, but I would make every effort to discuss the matter with them before jumping to conclusions.


If her attorney is not familiar with the nature of the charges then he/she may file for discovery (information from the prosecutor's file) and/or a bill of particulars (a more thorough description of the charged crime and the surrounding circumstances). I doubt that arguing over bail at this point would be very productive since she has new charges for forgery when she was on probation for forgery. You need to focus harder on the long-term picture. What will her overall sentence be an how can you best minimize it? What continuing treatment programs will she participate in after her release? (These crime are very typical for drug abusers)


In order to trigger the deadline for providing discovery, your attorney must first file a motion to receive it. Each local judge has his/her own rules about scheduling and discovery deadlines but your attorney should be able to access all the information available well in advance of the trial or probation violation hearing. If the information is not made available in a reasonable period of time, she can use that as a basis to set a low bail amount.


Feel free to reply if I can help with anything else.

Good luck.



I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

Related Criminal Law Questions