Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was just arrested for theft in Iowa. I admitted it so now

Customer Question
I have to plead guilty...
I was just arrested for theft in Iowa. I admitted it so now I have to plead guilty. I was wondering what kind of sentence I will get, and how this will impact my future (getting jobs, etc.)
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/2/2008
Criminal Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer
It will affect you, but depending on the result at trial the effect could vary quite a bit

Regardless of what you may have said prior to trial, you still have the right to plead not guilty. This is good, since it may allow you to enter into a plea agreement with the state that will reduce your sentence. Depending on the amount of theft and the circumstances, you may be able to have the charges deferred or sent to alternative resolution to keep this from going on your criminal record or allowing you to remove in the future.

For this process, you need a good lawyer, someone who will fight for you to get the best deal possible.

If you are convicted of a felony you will lose several rights, including the right to own a gun and perhaps the right to vote.

Prospective employers will be able to see if you have a conviction, either a felony or misdemeanor.

I recommend you work with your attorney and get the best deal possible, hopefully one that will allow you in the future to remove this from your record

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get paid.

P. Simmons, Lawyer