Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
12176198

what is the minimum BAC in the state of colorado which would

what is the minimum BAC in the state of colorado which would require a mandatory non-suspendable jail sentence and what is colorado's speedy trial deadline? If my driving privileges are suspended, and I get caught driving during that time, what will happen legally?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.

Hello.

If someone's BAC was .08 or higher, there is a mandatory minimum of 5 days in jail OR a defendant may complete an alcohol treatment program to avoid the mandatory minimum.

If someone's BAC was .20 or higher, there is a mandatory minimum of 90 days in jail, OR a court may suspend 80 of those days if an alcohol treatment program is completed. Even with the program, there is a mandatory 10 days in jail.

If your driving privileges were suspended, you can also be charged with driving on a suspended privilege. It also will look pretty bad to the sentencing judge that you not only drove while drunk, but also while you weren't even permitted to drive.

Colorado's speedy trial statute is 6 months.

Hope this helps.