How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34528
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An assault between roomates occurs, and neither party goes

This answer was rated:

An assault between roomates occurs, and neither party goes to the police. Roomate moves out next day, and relatives call the "offending" roomate stating we're getting a lawyer and throwing you in jail. "Offending" roomate wants to know, without police report, can this happen?
Thanks for the chance to assist

Yes, anyone can call the police at most anytime to report a crime.

That said, lack of a police report makes this a "he said/he said" case and not as easy to prove.

The other roommate would testify against the "offending roommate" and if the jury believes beyond a reasonable doubt, there could be a conviction.

More likely the prosecutor will deal this case for minimal punishment, if they prosecute the case at all

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get paid.

P. Simmons and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you