How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33746
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im going to court charged with vandalism (I broke a window),

Customer Question

I'm going to court charged with vandalism (I broke a window), I'm being charged with a misdemeanor. I admit that yes I broke the window, it's stated in the police report as well. I have paid for the broken window already. The circumstances leading to the window being broken are as follows: I was leaving my wife's place (we're separated), she wasn't happy I was leaving, so when I left, she put our 18 month old on the door step, said you take her, then closed and locked her front door. I didn't have a car seat available to take my daughter away with me, my wife had it. I knocked then pounded on the front door, about 20-30 min. trying to get my wife to open the door, she wouldn't, I yelled to her that I wanted her car keys to get the car seat and we would go. No response. I went to the window next, began knocking on the window, it broke, she called the police. I don't want to be charged, I will pay any fines. Is there any point in trying to fight the charge? I don't want it on my record.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 years ago.
Based on the facts you may be able to get a pretrial diversion or deferred adjudication probation. Either of these would prevent you from having a conviction on your record. your chances of getting these are a lot higher if you have an attorney so you should consider hiring one.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Dwayne B. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Since I can't afford an attorney, should I be pleading 'not guilty' and have a public defender assigned to me? Thank you again so much. I really appreciate your help.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 years ago.
Probably that would be the best thing to do. It is expected that you will plead not guilty and you can always change your plea later.

Thanks for the quick ACCEPT.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you again.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 years ago.
Good luck.