How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jim Reilly Your Own Question
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Crim Defense Atty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1805
Experience:  CA Atty since 1976, primarily criminal law. 150+ jury trials.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Jim Reilly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

are there any presidents allowing a registered sex offender

Customer Question

are there any presidents allowing a registered sex offender to pursue a dating relationship with a consenting woman that has a child under the age of 18?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 9 years ago.
More information would be helpful:

What state are you in?
Are you still are parole or probation for any sexual offense?
How old is the child?
Does the child live with the woman?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
im in colorado. yes i am on an have been on probation for 4 1/2yrs. ive been in group for 5 1/2yrs. the child is 6yrs old. yes the child does.
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 9 years ago.
I'm sorry, but the "optional information" and "already tried" sections of your question had not yet appeared at the time I posted my request for more information.

Because you are still on probation, you must abide by the terms of probation to avoid being sent to jail for violation of probation. If one of the terms of your probation is that you not have contact with minors, and the probation officer is still unwilling to lift that restriction there is really not much you can do about it.

Your best option is to convince the PO that the terms of your probation should be modified to allow you to visit with this woman even though she has a child. Perhaps having her speak with the PO would help.

Otherwise, you will have to limit your contact with this woman to situations in which her child is not present, at least until you either succeed in having the probationary terms modified or otherwise complete your probation.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thats the problem. im told i cant even have contact with the woman at all because she has a child.
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 9 years ago.
The CSOMB guidelines for probation of sex offenders permit the board to limit contact between a registered sex offender and any child, including his own child. The complete guidelines are contained in this booklet:

The standards which have to be met before visitation which includes contact with children can be permitted appear on pages 67 and 68. It is discretionary with the PO, based on those guidelines. You are going to have to continue working with your PO and your treatment team until you have convinced them that you meet the guidelines which would permit contact with children.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the whole guidlines both on the internet and hard copie. i have already completed an achived all of that. thats how i became an advanced member. theres nothing left for me to do. thats why i came here to see if i should try an see if a lawyer could do some thing in court to help me. or if i lose either way.
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 9 years ago.
There is nothing you can do in court unless there is a serious abuse of the discretion vested in the probation department. And what you have described does not rise to that level. Sorry I can't be more optimistic, but as I said, you're going to have to continue working to convince the PO and your treatment team that you have met the guidelines. I hope you ultimately succeed.
Jim Reilly and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 9 years ago.
You're welcome and thanks for the fast accept.