here is the law
NY CLS Penal § 170.10 (2008)
§ 170.10. Forgery in the second degree
A person is guilty of forgery in the second degree when, with intent to defraud, deceive or injure another, he falsely makes, completes or alters a written instrument which is or purports to be, or which is calculated to become or to represent if completed:
1. A deed, will, codicil, contract, assignment, commercial instrument, credit card, as that term is defined in subdivision seven of section 155.00, or other instrument which does or may evidence, create, transfer, terminate or otherwise affect a legal right, interest, obligation or status; or
2. A public record, or an instrument filed or required or authorized by law to be filed in or with a public office or public servant; or
3. A written instrument officially issued or created by a public office, public servant or governmental instrumentality; or
4. Part of an issue of tokens, public transportation transfers, certificates or other articles manufactured and designed for use as symbols of value usable in place of money for the purchase of property or services; or
5. A prescription of a duly licensed physician or other person authorized to issue the same for any drug or any instrument or device used in the taking or administering of drugs for which a prescription is required by law.
Forgery in the second degree is a class D felony.
NY CLS Penal § 170.25 (2008)
§ 170.25. Criminal
possession of a forged instrument in the second degree
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a forged instrument in the second degree when, with knowledge that it is forged and with intent to defraud, deceive or injure another, he utters or possesses any forged instrument of a kind specified in section 170.10.
Criminal possession of a forged instrument in the second degree is a class D felony.
So, this would be considered a felony, though not a federal offense.
I suspect that if you have a decent lawyer you can plea this out to either a misdemeanor
or perhaps divert from the criminal justice
system all together...but it is a felony so I do recommend a good lawyer
Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the green accept button, its the only way I get paid.