Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I HAVE BEEN ACCUSED OF ROBBING MY NEXT DOOR NEIGHBORS HOUSE.

Customer Question

I HAVE BEEN ACCUSED OF ROBBING MY NEXT DOOR NEIGHBORS HOUSE. WHICH JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE MY IN-LAWS WHO HATE ME. THEY DONT LIVE THERE THE HOUSE IS EMPTY. MY OTHER NEIGHBOR STATES THEY SAW ME CARRING SOMETHING FROM THERE GARAGE TO MY TRUCK. THE SARGENT HAS ASKED ME TO TAKE A LIE DETECOR TEST. I HAVE THIS SCHEDULED FOR TOMMOROW AT 10:00AM. SHOULD I TAKE THE TEST? AND WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I DONT. I CANT AFFORD AN ATTORNEY AT THIS TIME. I BELIEVE THAT I AM BEING SET UP BY MY INLAWS. WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
If you have already set up a polygraph and didn't do what they are accusing you of there is no reason not to take it. However, and this is big, don't let them bully you into giving a statement if you don't pass the test. Many times the police will start pushing you to give a statement if you don't pass and telling you that "if you come clean it will go easier on you". Don't believe it. There is now way you will help yourself by giving a statement all you can do is hurt yourself. If you decide to give a statement make sure you have an attorney.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.