How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Oregon and work for a Power Transmission company.

This answer was rated:

I live in Oregon and work for a Power Transmission company. We stock bronze bars in our warehouse that are owned by a company located in Ohio. We make commission on what we sell - the inventory is consigned. Due to certain circumstances, I have sold approximately $100,000 worth of the material. It may be more or less, depending on if the material is worth what would be sold to a customer for or if it's worth what the Ohio supplier paid. I have no record and have never stolen anything before. I'm 26 years old and male, if that makes any difference. The theft occurred in September of 2007. I received approximately $20,000 for the metal - I sold it to a scrap dealer in Oregon. The scrap dealer (I've kept in contact with him, periodically, out of guilt) has said that there is no paper trail for the bronze and it is then shipped back to China.
I have read and understand your facts and unfortunate situation. Is there a specific question I can help you with?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I need to know what best case scenario I'm looking at and worst case scenario. Nobody I've talked to knows what could happen. Jail? Restitution? Both? I'm unclear as to other cases like this and what the punishment would be.
Worst case scenario is that you are guilty of a felony and could get both jail and have to pay a fine as well as have a judgment entered against you. This is not likely though as the DA will want you to be able to pay the restitution. What is most likely is that you woudl be ordered to pay restitution and be put on probation.

If you are considering turning yourself in go and hire an attorney to handle it for you. He will get you a deal before the DA evern knows who you are.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Dwayne B. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you