Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

Why is the Miranda ruling important for police to understand

Why is the Miranda ruling important for police to understand? Explain your answer
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 years ago.
The Miranda ruling is important for the police to understand because it established that a defendant in a criminal case has to be made aware of their rights or any evidence or statements obtained may be suppressable by the court. The theory behind this is that it is not only important that a person have rights, but also that they are aware of them and can make a full and knowing waiver if they choose to talk to the police.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.