How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FloridaLawyer Your Own Question
FloridaLawyer, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 741
Experience:  Former State Prosecutor, licensed attorney with active criminal defense practice
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
FloridaLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How long can a inmate be held while waiting to be picked up from the coun

Customer Question

My husband was arrested early monday(8-25-08) for an OLD outstanding "body only" warrant. He was picked up at our home in marquette county, which is where he is being held. The warrant is from Milwaukee county, so he's waiting for them to come pick him up. Meanwhile, he's being kept in a holding cell 24 hrs a day because they have not booked him in Marquette Co. Is there a time limit for how long Milwaukee has to pick him up before Marquette would have to release him??? I appreciate your time. Thank you, Sarah
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  FloridaLawyer replied 8 years ago.

Hello thereCustomer


Believe it our not, there is no time limit and they could hold him there for days or even weeks. Fortunately, it usually doesn't take more than a few days for another county to come and get him. At that point he will be taken before a judge in Milwaukee for his first appearance on the warrant and should be given a bond amount that you can post to get him out. It wouldn't be a bad idea to hire a criminal defense attorney down in Milwaukee to file a motion to set reasonable bond once he gets there so that you will hopefully receive a lower bond amount.


If the folks at your jail hold him there for more than a few weeks, you can hire an attorney to file what is called a Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus and set that for a hearing to argue that he should be transported or released.


I hope this helps and best of luck!




If I have answered your question, please click accept so that I can earn credit for my answer.


Legal Disclaimer: The answer provided herein is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. The information, research and opinions set forth above are limited to the facts presented in the question and no guarantee is made regarding the adequacy or accuracy of the answer. The answer provided does not infer or imply the establishment or acceptance of any attorney-client relationship. No claim is made that I am licensed to practice law in the state or jurisdiction where this information is being provided and you should always seek legal counsel admitted to practice in your local jurisdiction for representation and advice on any legal matter.