Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Can police legally open a sealed registered mail, when serving

Customer Question
a warrant concerning pot?...
Can police legally open a sealed registered mail, when serving a warrant concerning pot?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/17/2008
Criminal Lawyer: ADillon, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
ADillon
ADillon, Lawyer

If you are referring to a search warrant, then they could open the mail only if it was encompassed within their warrant. That would depend on the particular wording of the warrant. They can generally open your mail, the same way that they can look through your drawers and cabinets and search through your car, if they have a warrant, supported by probable cause. (Interestingly, if registered mail could not be opened by the police, the a person could mail his pot to himself, and virtually insulate himself from prosecution for possessing that pot.)

If this has answered your question, please click 'accept' so that I may receive credit for this response.

ADillon
ADillon
ADillon, Lawyer