How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118200
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i recently got in trouble while visiting a friend at Penn ...

Resolved Question:

i recently got in trouble while visiting a friend at Penn state. me and 2 of my friends were smoking a joint and an officer saw me drop the end of it. He said that becasue i am out of state,( i live in massachusetts and dont go to school at penn state) that it is harder to prosecute but he said they had reason to believe that i was in possesion and would seek investigation of the evidence( the end of the joint). I was the only one who he said was getting charged, is it possible that the charges may get dropped by the courts? what will happen?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
While it is a misdemeanor, usually punishable by a small fine and probation, they could indeed seek to charge you. However, it is quite possible that the DA will decide not to prosecute. You should contact an attorney in PA and get them to keep on top of this for you because it will be cheaper to pay them now than find out later down the line that something has been filed against you. The attorney can even work out a deal where you do not have to show up at court and can pay a fine in exchange for dismissal if they charge you. For such as small amount it is likely that they will not charge you, but you can never be certain.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i am currently involved with the diversion program in massachusetts for a similar charge. i will have completed the program in about 2 weeks and i am unsure of wether news of this will reach the program before i am finished and if you believe i will be booted from the program if they do in fact find out? I am seeing a counseler as part of the program. If i talk to my counseler and he writes to the courts on my behalf is there anyway it will aid in dropping charges or giving me more counseling instead of a more severe punishment?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
Your counselor could write to the prosecutor and the Court in PA on your behalf if you have actually been charged and explain only that you are in counseling for the problem and that you are cooperating in the counseling efforts. If you were actually charged in PA, then you really need to hire a PA lawyer to start working now to get all of the information from the counselor and go to talk to the Commonwealth Attorney on your behalf to get the charges dropped, the money spent now will be well worth it.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you