How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 16 year old daughter got a criminal speeding ticket ...

Customer Question

My 16 year old daughter got a criminal speeding ticket going 93mph on the freeway (65mph). Is there anything we can do to keep her license from being taken away? This will be her second speeding ticket. She has already attended trafic school.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 9 years ago.

Best thing to do is hire a defense lawyer to take the case. Once you leap into the "criminal" area from a mere traffic "infraction," the rules of procedure are different, as are the penalties. You really don't want to screw around with this, unless you are prepared to relinquish the license and just let it go at that.

A good criminal defense attorney may be able to broker a deal with the public prosecutor. You can't do that by yourself, and you may waive your due process constitutional right to refuse to testify in the process of negotiating.


Terms and Conditions: By clicking "Accept" you hereby understand and agree that in consideration for my conversing with you: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to socrateaser's Post: Do I actually have to pay $30 dollars for that answer? I can't afford to hire legal representation for this.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 9 years ago.

Please click on my "Important Information" link below. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX luck.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The answer I received wasn't really an answer at all. I truely wish I hadn't started this process. Because, now it appears I can't get out of it...
Expert:  socrateaser replied 9 years ago.

Pardon me, but you are in no way obligated to pay for the answer, whether or not you found it useful.

Regardless, I'll say it again: the only way that you can avoid the license suspension is to hire an attorney to try to negotiate with the public prosecutor. You may not like that answer, but it is the answer to the question.

I will request a refund on your behalf.

Related Criminal Law Questions