Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a friend that has been encarcerated for 18 years ...

Customer Question
I have a friend that...
I have a friend that has been encarcerated for 18 years because of the 3 strikes law. His third strike was for stealing his own speakers. His uncle (now deceased) swore out the complaint. His problems revolved around alcohol and drugs. Now he has seisures from different accidents in jail and they have put him in Folsum prison where there are nothing but stairs. He''s fallen twice already from seisures. He asked to be moved to Donavon prison in San Diego, which is a ground level facility, but they denied his request. He should be out of jail. His crimes were all petty and non violent and he''s to disabled to bother anyone now. What or where can I go to help him. He has no money and I can''t afford to hire an attorney on his behalf.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/3/2008
Criminal Lawyer: FloridaLawyer, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 9 years ago
FloridaLawyer
FloridaLawyer, Criminal Defense Lawyer

HelloCustomer

Sorry to hear about your friends predicament. I think the best thing he can do is draft and file a "Motion to Transfer". This would normally be filed by his attorney and then set for a hearing in the court that originally senteced him to the Department of Corrections. At the hearing, he can present evidence as to why he should be at a ground level facility and his attorney can make legal argument as to why it would not cause a problem for the prison system and that he is not a threat to other inmates due to his medical condition. It would also help if he would agre to pay the costs associated with his transfer.

Good luck!

MDonnelly

If this information was helpful, please click accept so that I can earn credit for my answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The answer provided herein is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. The information, research and opinions set forth above are limited to the facts presented in the question and no guarantee is made regarding the adequacy or accuracy of the answer. The answer provided does not infer or imply the establishment or acceptance of any attorney-client relationship. No claim is made that I am licensed to practice law in the state or jurisdiction where this information is being provided and you should always seek legal counsel admitted to practice in your local jurisdiction for representation and advice on any legal matter.

FloridaLawyer
FloridaLawyer, Criminal Defense Lawyer
FloridaLawyer
FloridaLawyer
FloridaLawyer, Criminal Defense Lawyer