How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 57747
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses with their legal questions
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-girlfriend filed a complaint against me for ...

Resolved Question:

My ex-girlfriend filed a complaint against me for harrassment because i kept sending her e-mails. She did not respond to any of them so i thought that i had the wrong e-mail address. I was arrested 3 weeks ago for stalking her. I was just trying to communicate with her. I did not know that I was doing anything wrong or breaking the law. All she had to to was send me an e-mail telling me not to e-mail her any longer or she was going to file a complaint against me with the BreaPolice Department in CA. I would have stopped immediately. The Detective that took her complaint should have called me up or driven to my home and told me about the complaint and that if i kept e-mailing her i would get arrested. Nobody gave me a warning and i was arrested inside my aopartment and charged with stalking. Should the Detective called me up and contacted me and made me aware of the complaint in which case I would have stopped sending e-mails and i would not have gotten arrested?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 9 years ago.
officers have discretion in responding to the complaint. i suggest you appear at the court hearing, preferably with local counsel, and submit that you just wanted to communicate with her, didnt know she didnt want you to, and had you been asked you would have gladly stopped and have no intention of further contacting her. see if your local attorney can settle the charge on consent in advance of the hearing to avoid the appearance.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. You will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a BONUS and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is appreciated.

Kindly remember that sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.
INFOLAWYER and 9 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you