How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31766
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a bill of sale for a rifle i bought 3yrs ago it was ...

Customer Question

i have a bill of sale for a rifle i bought 3yrs ago it was stolen. what do i do. the officer told me i had to go to a ffl dealer to do the purchase is that correct for 2005 the year i purchased it
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 9 years ago.

Ultimately, you have no liability for purchasing a stolen weapon-or anything else- as long as you can prove that you had no knowledge that the gun was stolen. If you do purchase a stolen item and it comes to light, you simply provide the authorities with the identity of the seller if it didn't come with an FFL. They will interview that person next. The item (gun) will be held for evidence and you have recourse against the seller for your loss.

The officer is correct that a dealer can get you the appropriate forms to properly register the gun.

Roger and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Roger replied 9 years ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks.