Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How do you fight a petty theft charge without an attorney

Customer Question
how do you fight a petty theft charge without an attorney
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/1/2008
Criminal Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer

Please give me more details and I shall try to assist you.
I was stopped after I made a purchase. I was in the same store a few days ago and had purchased an item which was still in my bag. The security asked me did I know why I was being detained and I said no. They opened my bad and I explained I had purchased the item a few days ago. He said he saw me take off the plastic. He said, I was standing in back of you. I was questioned in a room and my bag was opened and one of the security said to me are these your pills? I said yes. He said I can't see the name on the bottle. One might think they were drugs. What does that have to do with anything? I was given some paperwork and was told I would get a date to appear in court. The police officer said, "At your age, I don't think you need any bullshit in your life. Just pay the fine when you go to court". What was HE trying to tell me?

You will want to discuss your case with the prosecuter.

Explain the situation. Explain that you are a first time offender.

The likely result will be that the prosecuter will agree to a deferred judgment.

A deferred judgment means that the charges will be dropped provided you do not commit another crime within a period of time. You will have to pay the court fees and a fine but you will avoid having the charge on your record. (This is likely what the officer meant - pay the fine and not go to trial.)

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please hit ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonuses and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Ellen, Lawyer